Uniformed and Overseas Citizens

Procedures for Absent Voting by Uniformed and Overseas Citizens

Effective Absentee System for Elections (EASE)

  • In 2014 Nevada released a completely online resource that seamlessly integrates voter registration and electronic ballot delivery and marking. Nevada's Effective Absentee System for Elections (EASE) is available for use by active members of the United States Armed Forces, their spouses and dependents, and Nevada voters who reside outside of the country. For more information about EASE please visit the EASE Overview page by clicking here. If you are eligible to use EASE the system can be accessed at NVEASE.gov.

Register to Vote

  • A Uniformed and Overseas Citizen Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) voter who is not already registered in NV can both register and request an absent ballot by completing and sending the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) form to their local county clerk/register of voters
  • UOCAVA voters may also register to vote online.   Voters using this method of registration will have to request an absent ballot separately, at which time they will provide the registrar of voters their current overseas or military post address.
  • Note: UOCAVA voters must reaffirm their eligibility every election cycle (biennially). To reaffirm eligibility as a UOCAVA voter a FPCA should be resubmitted to the local election office. FPCAs that are submitted for a primary election also act as a request for subsequent federal elections during that election cycle, such as the general election.
  • Using NVEASE.gov to complete your FPCA to register to vote will also provide you with your blank ballot to mark and return.

Request and Receive a Ballot

  • Registering with an FPCA will also constitute a request for an absent ballot.
  • If registered in Nevada other than through an FPCA, a voter should request by mail, fax, or email an absent ballot by contacting their county clerk/registrar of voters.
  • Once a request for an absent ballot is received, the county clerk/registrar of voters will verify that the requestor is a registered voter in the county, or the voter is simultaneously registering/requesting with the FPCA.  MOVE Act and 2009 Nevada Assembly Bill 41 enhancements now allow county clerks/registrars of voters to issue appropriate balloting materials to voters via mail, fax, or email.
  • Using NVEASE.gov to complete your FPCA absent ballot request you will also be provided with your blank ballot to mark and return.

Vote and Return Ballot

  • Once a voter receives their blank ballot, they will mark their selections, complete and sign the Oath of Voter, and return the balloting materials through mail, fax, or email to their county clerk/registrar of voters.
  • A UOCAVA voter who makes a timely application for, and does not receive a regular absent ballot, may vote a Federal Write-In Absent Ballot (FWAB).
  • Using NVEASE.gov to mark your ballot will provide your marked ballot in a PDF document that most likely can be returned to your county clerk or registrar as an attachment to an email.

Free Access Tracking of Returned Ballots

  • Upon receipt of a returned ballot by the county clerk/registrar of voters, a voter will have the ability to visit myvoterfile and click the tab "Voter History" to confirm that their ballot has been received.

Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP)

Please visit the FVAP's website www.fvap.gov for additional information.  FVAP can be reached toll-free in the U.S. at: 1-800-438-VOTE (8683) or DSN (military) 425-1584.  International toll-free phone and fax numbers are listed at FVAP's contact page.  The email address is vote@fvap.gov


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer