A constitutional initiative seeks to amend the Nevada Constitution. All statewide initiative petitions must be filed with the Secretary of State’s office prior to circulating.
Petition Requirements and Process
- Pursuant to Article 19, Section 2(4) of the Nevada Constitution, constitutional initiative petitions to appear on the 2018 General Election ballot may be filed on or after September 1, 2017.
- To qualify for the ballot, petitioners must obtain the signatures of registered voters that equal at least ten percent (10%) of the voters who voted at the last preceding General Election. Only registered voters of the county and petition district where the petition is circulated may sign the petition.
- If the petition is circulated in more than one county, all documents must be submitted to all counties at the same time.
- The signatures must be gathered in each of the four Petition Districts.
- The last preceding general election for all petitions submitted in 2018 is the 2016 General Election. Therefore, 112,544 valid signatures are required to qualify a petition submitted in 2018. Of the 112,544 signatures, 28,136 must be collected in each of Petition Districts 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- The last day for petitioners to submit signatures to the counties for verification is June 19, 2018.
- Counties must certify petition sufficiency within 13 working days of submission.
- If voters approve the amendment during the 2018 election, the approved amendment will then be added to the 2020 election. The approved amendment must be passed by voters in two successive general elections before it can be added to the Nevada Constitution.
|On or after September 1, 2017||Filing Date|
|June 19, 2018||Deadline to Submit Signatures to Counties for Verification|
|July 9, 2018||Counties to Certify Sufficiency to SOS|
|November 6, 2018||General Election|