A constitutional initiative seeks to amend the Nevada Constitution. All petitions must be filed with the Secretary of State’s office prior to circulating.
Petition Requirements and Process
- Pursuant to Article 19, Section 2(4) of the Nevada Constitution and NRS 295.015 and 295.009, constitutional initiative petitions to appear on the 2016 General Election ballot may be filed on or after September 1, 2015.
- To qualify for the ballot, petitioners must obtain the signatures of registered voters that equal at least ten percent (10%) of the voters who voted at the last preceding General Election. Only registered voters of the county and petition district where the petition is circulated may sign the petition.
- If the petition is circulated in more than one county, all documents must be submitted to all counties at the same time.
- The signatures must be gathered in each of the four Petition Districts. The last preceding general election for all petitions submitted in 2016 is the 2014 General Election. Therefore, 55,234 valid signatures are required to qualify a petition submitted in 2016. Of the 55,234 signatures, 13,809 must be collected in each of Petition Districts 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- The last day for petitioners to submit signatures to the counties for verification is June 21, 2016.
- All sufficient constitutional initiative petitions must be returned to the Office of the Secretary of State not later than August 10, 2016, to appear on the 2016 General Election ballot.
- If voters approve the amendment during the 2016 election, the approved amendment will then be added to the 2018 election. The approved amendment must be passed by voters in two successive general elections before it can be added to the Nevada Constitution.
|On or after September 1, 2015||Filing Date|
|June 21, 2016||Deadline to Submit Signatures to Counties for Verification|
|August 10, 2016||Deadline to Return Sufficient Petitions to the Secretary of State's Office|
|November 8, 2016||General Election|