FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Catherine Lu
(702) 486-6982 / 334-7953
(Carson City, NV; August 8, 2012) – Candidates who lost or withdrew their candidacy in the primary election must dispose of their unspent campaign funds by Wednesday, Aug. 15, says Secretary of State Ross Miller.
Unspent campaign funds can be disposed of through one or any combination of the following methods:
- Return the unspent money to contributors;
- Contribute the money to campaigns of other candidates for public office or toward the payment of debts related to their campaigns;
- Contribute the money to a political party;
- Donate the money to any tax-exempt nonprofit entity; and/or
- Donate the money to any governmental entity or fund of Nevada, or a political subdivision of Nevada (candidates may request that the money be used for a specific purpose).
For further direction on how to dispose of unspent campaign funds, candidates should consult Nevada Revised Statute 294A.160.
PLEASE NOTE: While disposal of unspent campaign funds must be completed by August 15, candidates will report the disposal on Contributions & Expenses (C&E) Report #3, which is due by October 16, 2012.
Candidates who lost in the primary election are required to file C&E reports #3-5 even if they received no contributions or spent any funds during the respective reporting periods.
Candidates who have any questions regarding disposal of unspent campaign funds should call the Elections Division at (775) 684-5705.
# # #