Nevada Public Records Act (NRS 239) and Compliance Procedure
for the Secretary of State's Office
The Nevada Secretary of State’s office is committed to providing access to public records in accordance with Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 239. All public records, the contents of which are not otherwise declared by law to be confidential, shall be open for inspection or to obtain copies.
Contact Info and Forms
All requests to inspect and/or obtain copies of public records must be made through the office’s Public Information Officer:
E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing and Physical Address:
Nevada Secretary of State’s Office
Attn: Catherine Lu
555 E. Washington Ave. #5200
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Request Form (This form is NOT for requests for Commercial Recordings documents. If you submit this form, it will be returned to you. The link to the form to request copies of Commercial Recordings documents is below.)
Guidelines for Submitting a Public Records Request
- NOTE: If you would like to request documents about a business entity (i.e. articles of organization/incorporation, annual lists, copies of business licenses) from the Commercial Recordings Division, do NOT complete a public records request form. Please refer to the copies order form, and send your completed form to email@example.com. If you submit the Public Records Request form to the Copies Division, it will be returned to you, and you will be asked to complete your order using the copies order form and credit card payment sheet.
- NOTE: These guidelines, procedures, and request form pertain only to the Secretary of State's office and the information for which we have legal custody and control. If you seek information from another agency, please direct your query to that specific agency's public information office.
- Concise, written requests are preferred. Handwritten requests must be legible.
- Written requests are necessary as we must track a high volume of requests, and we want to ensure a timely response.
- For your convenience, a Public Records Request Form is provided above.
- E-mail or mail your request directly to the public information officer who will coordinate the records search and response with appropriate staff.
- Be specific in your request, like including the dates of records. Try to define the type of content and narrow the scope as much as possible.
- If necessary, we may ask for clarification so we can expedite the search for records relevant to your needs.
- Include the requestor's contact information, preferably with e-mail and physical mailing addresses and daytime phone number.
- Pursuant to NRS 239.0105, within five (5) business days of receiving a request for a public record, the office will:
- Allow the requestor to inspect or copy the record, or
- Notify the requestor that the office does not possess the information and provide the name and address of the entity that does, if know, or
- Notify the requestor that the information cannot be available within five (5) business days and provide a date and time after which the record will be available to inspect or copy, or
- Notify the requestor that the information is confidential and cite the statute or other legal authority to deny the request
- Due to the volume of requests, records accessibility, staff availability, and legal constraints, we may need a few days or weeks to locate and produce some records.
- Records are not always readily accessible. Both electronic and hard copy records are maintained statewide in multiple offices and on multiple servers, and most records older than three years are stored in Nevada State Archives.
- Fees will be charged in accordance with the fee schedule provided above.
Certain records and data maintained by this office are available online for public viewing and/or downloading. Please search these before submitting a formal records request. For some data reports, a separate fee schedule may apply.
Business Entity Search – Contains information about status and filings for Nevada corporations, LLCs, LLPs, LLLPs, non-profit corporations, corporations sole and other business entity types; trademarks, service marks, trade names, reserved names and state business license.
Aurora – Search Campaign Contributions & Expenses Reports and Financial Disclosure Statements filed by candidates, elected or appointed public officials, political action committees, political parties, recall committees, non-profit corporations, or independent expenditures.
Voter Registration Statistics – View voter registration statistics broken down by county, party, age and district.
Registered Political Action Committees
Registered Political Action Committees Advocating Passage or Defeat of Ballot Questions
Non-Profit Corporation Registration – Entities engaging in activities designed to affect the outcome of primary, general or special election, or question on the state ballot.
Nevada Minister Public Search – Search a minister by name, church affiliation or county.
Official Legislative Acts – View legislation filed with the SOS by selecting legislative session and type.
Quarterly Business Reports – SOS news of the past and upcoming quarters.
Quarterly Economic & Business Activity Reports – Reports provide a quarterly review and analysis of trends in economic and business activities within Nevada.
Secretary of State Annual & Biennial Reports (per NRS 225.120)
Additional data reports are available for downloading via the bulk data download service. You can create customized data reports containing raw data from certain Nevada Secretary of State’s databases. This tool does NOT return any actual documents or copies of documents, only the public data recorded from those documents. There is a fee for these data reports. https://nvsos.gov/SOSServices/AnonymousAccess/PricingGuide.aspx
Bulk data reports include:
- Uniform Commercial Code
- NevVoter – State Voter Registration List
- Notaries Public Database